POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Fun with images #1 : Re: Fun with images #1 Server Time
6 Aug 2024 23:20:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fun with images #1
From: John D  Gwinner
Date: 25 Jul 2006 18:31:10
Message: <44c69bae@news.povray.org>
"Anthony D. Baye" <ant### [at] goldsdsmtedu> wrote in message
> I plan to do some further experimentation to see whether or not I can make
> it more memory efficient, but I'm not holding my breath.

Wow, it looks nice.  This would look great as an animation zooming into the
picture.

I did a brief experiment a while ago with the same idea, but mine was to be
a 'hologram' projection.  I put a spotlight about every 10 pixels or so, but
used a transparent block with the actual image mapped on it, with a grid
'overlay' to shape the pixels.  I also tried a spherical ball with the right
color, similar to your idea, but decided it looked too grainy.

Are you using a Union or difference?

So mine wouldn't show NEARLY your detail, but it did have the interesting
effect of 'projecting' a blurred image into the viewers.  As near as I
remember memory wasn't bad, but of course there were a lot of spotlights,
which could have other bad effects.  I can't remember if I tried radiosity
or not.

I also didn't post it anywhere ...

         == John ==