POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Space Carrier: Current Development Stage : Re: Space Carrier: Current Development Stage Server Time
7 Aug 2024 03:17:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Space Carrier: Current Development Stage
From: Sven Littkowski
Date: 1 Jul 2006 07:35:31
Message: <44a65e03$1@news.povray.org>
"John D. Gwinner" <john punctuation gwinner punc cornell punc edu> schrieb
im Newsbeitrag news:44a4ac6b$1@news.povray.org...
> Wow, I really like this. A few comments:
> The structure of the center part is a little difficult to make out - I
> think there should be some exterior ligths maybe?

Hmm, no, I actually intented to have it looking as it is. When studying
space photos of the shuttle, I recognize that the contrast value in space
seems much higher than on Earth where atmospher filters the sunlight and
does cause a milder contrast. In space, all shadow is truly very dark, and I
wanted that the shadowed part of the ship is only recognizable by its many
lights.

> Also, the white 'field lines?' in the tube part don't seem to cast any
> light on anything - not sure if that's on purpose or not, and it's not
> 'wrong' just something I noticed.

Well observed. The while lines are not really lights but just an ambient
element, enough to be seen clearly for incoming or outgoing smaller vessels
but not really lightening up th environment - it is just a navigation
feature. Hmm, maybe similar in the effect to the ground crew navigation
sticks the guys are using to show an airplane captain where exactly to park
the airplane: just enough for recognition but not for a bright light (which
would be against the purpose of easier navigation).

> The buildings on the right hand side seem to 'stick into' the white lines
> though.  If that's intentional, I would space them so it looks like it's
> on purpose.

Yes, those are bigger buildings where many smallest craft can dock on. The
bigger vessels are anchored deeper inside the tubes. The bigger buildings
are actually between the navigation light rings.

> A few of the windows on the very top part of the curve don't really seem
> to follow the greebles?  Not really sure about that as it's in shadow

Hmm... Which curve? Of the tubes? The a surprising "Yes - they follow". Not
when seen from the front, but when seen from the side. Some diagonal
surfaces causes this (wrong) imagination they would not follow. That tricked
me, as well, at first! He he!

> I really like this, you've captured a great sense of complexity and size.
> The windows I feel are especially well done, that's one thing that makes
> it look *big*.

Thanks a lot! Yes, I see so many poorly-done starships, and wanted to do
something in the tradition of Star Wars or Battlestar Galactica. Something
more real, with good textures, structures and size recognition. I still
intend to add Zeger Knaepen's great geebles to some of this ship's surfaces.

Best greetings,

Sven