POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : web buttons : Re: web buttons Server Time
7 Aug 2024 03:18:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: web buttons
From: Alain
Date: 26 Jun 2006 18:27:47
Message: <44a05f63$1@news.povray.org>
Johan Feyaerts nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 25/06/2006 12:31:
> Nice site. Did you make that with povray? This is the kind of thing I want
> to achieve indeed.
> But I want a bit more sophisticated buttons. with changing light when you go
> over them and different lightcolor or intensity when they are pressed. I
> intend to integrate them with flash graphics.
>
> Here's a new render
> I've put 8 lights under the ruby glass cap which is below the white glass
> cap.
> Looks a bit better, but still far from what I have in mind.When the text
> itself could emit light that would be much nicer.
> I think the final render should become more glossy. Maybe making the glass
> cap on top thinner makes the colors somewhat more brilliant. I still have to
> experiment with the glass textures. I think the inner colored glass should
> be more matt so that it disperses the light. The outer glass should be
> lighter I guess
>

> "Wijnand Nijs" <w.n### [at] alf4alldemonnl> wrote in message
>> I like this button and the discussion very much. I am working to make my
>> whole side povray-style (still a little bit primitive, but...), see:
>>
>> http://alf4all.demon.nl/frames/index.htm
>>
>> So, if there are others with good idees and/or code ..., let's make it a
>> topic.
>>
>> greetings...
>> Wijnand

Have you tried with radiosity? That way, the text can actualy emit light.
My suggestion:
Make the text a little thicker and difference it with a box.
difference{object{<your text object>finish{diffuse 0 ambient 1}}box{corner1,corner2
finish{diffuse 1
ambient 0}}}
Give the text object a finish with ambient 1 or a little more, and the box with
ambient 0. In a
radiosity scene, this makes the sides of the leters emit light that will illuminate
it's surrounding
and the part cut by the box will remain dark.
Please note that that light CAN'T interact with any media.
You can also make the leters transparent, hollow and fill them with emiting media.
Those can emit
light in a radiosity scene if you add "media on" in the radiosity block.

--
Alain
Church of SubGenius: BoB shits.