POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Results are in....! : Re: Results are in....! Server Time
25 Apr 2024 21:39:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Results are in....!
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 20 Jun 2006 09:10:09
Message: <4497f3b1$1@news.povray.org>
St. wrote:

>      Is there a problem with using a modelling prog for the IRTC  instead of
> CSG in PoV-Ray, Mike?  After all, the IRTC is not PoV-Ray related. I thought
> that this was a -general- raytracing comp. where any modelling prog and
> raytracer would be exceptable regardless of the raytracing program used?

Absolutely not! Some of the best images are done with modelers, and
sometimes non-pov. The image in question was made with POV, I just don't
see simply using a modeler as earning a technical merit award. Artistic
merit? Yes. Top 3? Sure! Technical Merit? No way! There's nothing
special about it. Unless they've demonstrated-- and it doesn't appear
they have by looking at the description, which was rather terse-- some
programming feat in Wings3D, such as some sort of customization to
create their models, a script, their own utilities, an inventive process
for creating the image. Anything. None of that was there. It was all
ready made software, and hand made models (that does deserve artistic
merit, the image *is* good, and does deserve to place.)

Unless I'm misunderstanding technical merit...

--
~Mike

Things! Billions of them!