POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : artefacts : Re: artefacts Server Time
7 Aug 2024 03:20:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: artefacts
From: Bill Hails
Date: 15 Jun 2006 18:08:09
Message: <4491da48@news.povray.org>
Alain wrote:

> [...]
> It don't look like a problem with your media, but with the blob that
> contains it. Do a test by removing the media, are the artefacts still
> there? If you use interior{fade_color rgb 0.5 fade_distance 1}, do you
> still see the artefacts?(adjust fade_distance to the dimentions of the
> blob) Check if you have any reflection, look if you have a user deffined
> default texture/finish. Check any personal include, or any that comes from
> somebody else (not from the distribution). It came biting back someone
> else some times ago...

Yeah I think you're right. Checking over the log, I'm getting lots of
parse warnings about "degenerate blob element at .." - I'm not really
sure what that means - a sphere with zero radius? I don't think
I have any of those, but it's possible. I'm going to rework the
code for the blob anyway.

> A few shoots in the dark:
> Try adding strum in the blob deffinition it you don't use it already.
> Try changing the shape of the cloud, probably just changing the random
> seed. Try altering the scale of the scene.
> Try moving the other elements of your scene.
> Try changing the thresshold value of the blob, change the components'
> radius acordingly.
>
> It looks like your media could benefit from more samples. Increasing the
> samples value don't affect render time that much. Don't increase the
> intervals value, it will realy impair your rendering time.

I'll definately try more samples, Thanks!

--
Bill Hails
http://billhails.net/