POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : weeping planet render : Re: weeping planet render Server Time
7 Aug 2024 09:27:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: weeping planet render
From: Ben Paschke
Date: 9 Jun 2006 22:53:16
Message: <448A341B.3030104@rsp.com.au>
This is exactly why most productions will use renderers geared toward
utmost speed.
In vfx production raytracing is more often than not a last resort, or
only used for very select elements in a shot.
The speed you can get out of modern scanline/REYES renderers these days
is absolutely mad. Couple this with a well thought out pipeline based on
reusability of cached render data, and the whole process of rendering
thousands of entirely cg frames starts to seem realistic! (also a farm
of a couple of hundred processors kinda helps).

A lot of the effects that raytracing grant you can be either:
-faked using creative empirical methods
-baked out to point or rasta data cahes to be re-used for subsequent
renders (effectively turning an expensive ray call into a simple map
look-up ( which has further benefits if you use a mip-mapped data format
( these can exist for 2d and 3d data! ) ) )
- or restricted to specific passes, so that when you do need to
raytrace, you contrive your scene to trace against an absolute minimum
of participating geometry.

The other (vital) aspect to production renderers is programmable shading
languages. Having very low level conrol over shading lets you tune the
shading of a scene to do the bare minimum
of shading computations to get a frame out at an acceptable quality and
time frame. And with programmable shaders, you aren't locked into
someone else's idea of what a certain effect should look like, or how it
should be calculated. Nearly every shot in every sequence on every show
needs to be tweaked and tuned uniquely to make sure you get the
bang-for-the-buck into the image, and the image out on time!

benpee
www.rsp.com.au