POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Car study : Re: Car study Server Time
29 Apr 2024 05:58:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Car study
From: scott
Date: 3 Jun 2006 14:02:42
Message: <4481cec2$1@news.povray.org>
>> I'm also trying both out, currently I prefer Blender but I find
>> two things annoying.  Firstly the way you rotate the 3D view with
>> the mouse is weird, nothing like Wings, 3DS Max or Pro Engineer
>> etc, I can never get the view orientated the way I want very
>> easily.  At the moment I waste lots of time just trying to look at
>> the right part!  The other thing is you cannot apply a bevel to
>> one edge at a time, you have to do the whole mesh.  I find Blender
>> generally easier for mesh work though, it's much easier to combine
>> vertices, extrude edges, make/delete faces etc.  Wings seems to
>> have weird rules about what you can and can't do.
> A significant characteristic of Wings, and from where it derives its
> name, is the way in which it stores its data.  The result is that
> Wings cannot produce or store independent triangles, only closed
> shapes where every edge has an adjoining edge.  This produces
> behavior that appears weird when certain tools are used which need
> to retain open edges temporarily, or when externally produced
> models are imported that have existing open edges.  This also
> imposes restrictions when modelling that are satisfying to certain
> purists of mesh geometry but frustrating to others. Those who
> prefer poly-by-poly modelling are out of luck with Wings.

That explains it then.  Although I do find Wings gets it's knickers in a
twist sometimes when working with the virtual mirror.  I have certainly
ended up with a hole in my mesh several times where I can see the inside.  I
have yet to find a way to close it apart from deleting that bit and starting
again!