POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Planet Earth : Re: Planet Earth Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:15:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Planet Earth
From: Sven Littkowski
Date: 1 Jun 2006 08:07:38
Message: <447ed88a@news.povray.org>

news:447e379c$1@news.povray.org...
> Pretty dark in Afghanistan ;-)... what resolution has your surface
> heightfield, and what vertical exaggeration did you apply to it?
> A nitpick: I think the sky is way too starry compared to what an astronaut
> from a spaceship would see - the illuminated hemisphere of the Earth would
> simply overshine most stars!

Hi!

Exaggeration: default value, surface heightfield: 1000x500 (have another one
which was too big to parse for POV-Ray due memory of only 1.25 GB:
21600x10800).

Difficult to have the colors of an image having the same natural illuminance
like the original Earth. The amount of stars should still be vastly
increased, but I experimented already with a "black half-spherical fog"
behind/around the dayside of Earth with lets the stars gradually be seen
again. But this black fog (descent in its kind) I did, so far, only with a
graphic program, not yet with POV-Ray.

Greetings,

Sven