POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Galaxy? : Re: Galaxy? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 05:21:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Galaxy?
From: Sven Littkowski
Date: 29 May 2006 22:14:25
Message: <447baa81$1@news.povray.org>
Hi Nekar,

I might have an idea suitable for you. Just an idea, you need to do the code
writing.

Having at all times a nice billion of stars might truly be one of both:
suicide or a life work. But since you write about zooming closer, you could
still have your zoomable suns. Use some scripting inside your scene.

That scripting would create ambient spheres just on demand. From a distance,
the scene contains no sun spheres. But once you scroll to a certain
location, the script within starts to create on or a few (ambient?) sun
spheres as the camera zooms closer to that location. At the begin, these
spheres are just tiny, tiny, tiny. The closer you get, the bigger (in a
descent increase) the few spheres get, and the distances between them also
increase. Note that, based on the huge distances between real suns, usually
only the target sun gets bigger, while the other (few) distant suns remain
in a smaller size but move out of the image due the camera viewpoint.

The creation of the spheres (and their amount) could be triggered by the
zoom factor, or let's say, the camera position. The scripting is now up to
you. May the POVer be with you, young Jedi!

I think, this way you can have a fast calculating galaxy and on zoom-in also
recognizable suns doing their natural part in a universe full of POV
creatures...

Greetings, and let me know your feedback,

Sven