POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Rings cutting atmosphere phenomenon : Re: Rings cutting atmosphere phenomenon Server Time
7 Aug 2024 05:21:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rings cutting atmosphere phenomenon
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 28 May 2006 04:38:58
Message: <447961a2$1@news.povray.org>
EagleSun wrote:
> I'm working on the planets in an up-coming Star Wars movie, and I've ran
> into a peculiar phenomenon, trying to
>
> render rings around a planet produces an artifact where the rings cut away
> the atmosphere of the planet.  For the
>
> model, I use Saturn.
>
> Here is the source code that reproduces the phenomenon...

SNIP

The discs have to be hollow. Discs are much like planes and divide the
universe in two halfs: one half above and one half below the disc. I
think even the source-code is similiar to that of the plane, it's just a
limited version of the plane.
And if that doesn't help, try raising the max_trace_level in the
global_settings.

Regards,
Tim

--