POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Earth: Your Advices are Welcome : Re: Earth: Your Advices are Welcome Server Time
7 Aug 2024 05:22:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Earth: Your Advices are Welcome
From: Sven Littkowski
Date: 27 May 2006 16:30:51
Message: <4478b6fb@news.povray.org>
"nemesis" <nam### [at] gmailcom> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Sven, i hardly see any atmosphere at all.  Guess the sky could be a little
> higher? ;)

Yes, it could, but I wanted to stay as realistic as possible. The thin layer
of atmosphere should be visible only at close range (see attached photo).

> and i think the correct setting for an atmosphere would be scattering
> media,
> not emitting.  But it's far slower.

Can you publish here a smaple of scattering media? It would help me a lot! I
try it now with a sphere and a pigment_map, but have first to figure out how
to create a spherical pigment_map, as gradients x, y or z are only towards
one axis. I hardly worked before with pigment_maps.

> and BTW, do we really see our city lights from space?  I thought most
> cientists believe our civilization would go unnoticed by an eventual
> observer at a quick glance of our planet...

Hmm, here you might have a point, but not for sure. So far as I know, you
might not see individual lights (of course not), but just the biggest
clusters of lights such created by big cities and maybe reflecting clouds
above them. But I am not sure. But in any way, lights look good. If only I
could find a way to manage that they would be only at the nightside of
earth...

That would help me also for future planet renders...

Greetings,

Sven

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: