POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Realistic bricks : Re: Realistic bricks Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:21:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Realistic bricks
From: Jim Charter
Date: 26 May 2006 05:30:32
Message: <4476cab8$1@news.povray.org>
Tom York wrote:
> Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote:
>

>>The main discovery here for me involved the problem of the scaling
>>of nested textures.  Often when you nest textures, the scaling
>>of the contained textures will be influenced by the scaling of the
>>containing texture.  Apparently, I was able to divorce this connection
>>by defining each pattern, prescaled, as a pigment function before
>>nesting them.  But my testing of this was not exhaustive.
>

> I remember MegaPOV used to have a "reset_children" warp to combat this, but
> I thought it was completely replaced by pigment_pattern in 3.6 and
> derivatives (as described in manual section 3.5.11.25). This is the same
> problem?
>
> Tom

dunno, but it does sound like a possible solution.  obviously it would
be another way to predefine the pattern before nesting it.

I never really looked into it before because in situations where
I wanted to nest pigments, worse case I would just apply transformations
so as to neutralize one another.  But this time I couldn't solve it in
that way. I've never heard of "reset_children"