POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Wanted: Clouds : Re: Wanted: Clouds Server Time
7 Aug 2024 05:17:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wanted: Clouds
From: Jim Charter
Date: 22 May 2006 15:41:02
Message: <447213ce$1@news.povray.org>
Sven Littkowski wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> Who knows how to make with POV-Ray a cloudy planet surface and thin
> atmosphere similar to that of the photo? I am in big need of a macro which
> can do surfaces of planets (spheres). Who can help?
>
> Sven

there is not really a readymade solution that can be just handed to you

there have been at least two investigations that I can remember into the
idea of creating an all in one macro or technique for the rendering of
an encompassing atmostphere that would produce both sunset and high noon
effects from the planet surface, and space shot effects too.  Searching
the images group might turn those up, though they might be more purist
than you need.  But it is something that POV-Ray should be capable of.

more pragmatically there is a nice summary of cloud techniques by Gilles
Tran at the bottom of his page
http://www.oyonale.com/ressources/english/sources13.htm
though again his context is more specifically landscapes from the planet
surface

you already know about Christoph Hormann's work and so probably have
read that he may be looking into the problem of creating such effects as
a possible future elaboration of his project

so we are all awaiting with interest the ingenuity that you may bring to
this ;)