POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : joining the greeble-madness :) : Re: joining the greeble-madness :) Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:17:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: joining the greeble-madness :)
From: John VanSickle
Date: 16 May 2006 00:44:48
Message: <446958c0$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter wrote:

> Zeger Knaepen wrote:
>
>> I just *had* to try to make my own greeble-macro :)
>>
>> here's a first result, rendertime: 3'48" on a Sempron 2400+ with 768MB
>> RAM, running Windows XP SP2
>>
>> comments are more than welcome !
>>
>> cu!
>>
> I think it is a bit of a stylistic departure from the usual but the
> result is attractive, even gorgeous, and useful I think.
>
> The obvious problem with this and the other attempts at an automated
> generator is the lack of averarching elements that would span "cells"
> Simply varying the scale of the cells does not get that effect.

One way is to give cells borders, and require that two cell types cannot
meet unless their typing along that border matches.  Then you can
sprinkle some stand-alone cells in with larger pieces, and even
irregular pieces.  The tricky part is to make sure that the surface can
be completely tiled in this way.

Or you can have multiple layers of greebling, in which the higher level
has tubes and stuff that traverse the lower-level tiles.

Regards,
John