POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cross-bedded sandstone macro : Re: Cross-bedded sandstone macro Server Time
7 Aug 2024 07:14:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cross-bedded sandstone macro
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 14 May 2006 03:22:52
Message: <4466dacc@news.povray.org>
"Sven Littkowski" <sve### [at] jamaica-focuscom> schreef in bericht
> I like your works, Thomas.

Thank you :-)

> Would that macro generate each time the same kind of stone, or do you have
> some random generators which ensure that the output can be different each
> time (by user-selecting a seed for the random generator)? In any way, you
> combine observations in nature with your works in the POV-Ray SDL, and
that
> is a tendency I like very much! Go on, Thomas, do much more of this!

That would be possible of course like I did in the Sandstone_mcr, and I even
started to include a random number parameter (still there, but has no
purpose!!). However, in this particular macro, I think that outside control
by the user is better. You can change the parameters from case to case, even
randomize them using RRand(). In fact I did just that in the Sandstone_mcr
for the sandstone blocks at the rear. Here, I would randomize Frequency,
Bedrot1, Bedrot2, and Set. For instance:

#declare Frequency = RRand(5,10,Seed);
#declare Bedrot1 = <0, RRand(-180,180,Seed), -15>;
#declare Bedrot2 = <RRand(0,10,Seed), RRand(-200,200,Seed), 0>;
#declare Set = RRand(0.3,0.7,Seed);
CrossBeddedSandstone()
object {Sphere texture{CrossBeddedSst}}

If you put this in a #while() loop, you will get a different texture each
time.
Hope this answers your question!

Thomas