POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Experimenting with Greebles : Re: Experimenting with Greebles Server Time
7 Aug 2024 07:16:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Experimenting with Greebles
From: Slime
Date: 12 May 2006 02:15:37
Message: <44642809$1@news.povray.org>
> At the moment I can only generate rectangular panels of these greebles.
> I tried generating a rectangular panel and then using an intersection on
> it to create a triangular patch, but the render time went through the
> roof, presumably because it loses the bounding boxes on the little
> pieces, so it has to test each ray against thousands of greeble units.
> This image rendered in 1m 53s, but a similar model made from triangular
> patches would take several days.

Try intersecting each individual greeble with the sides of the triangle,
instead of making one huge intersection.

To save on memory, you can test each greeble to see if it's inside the
triangle before doing this, so you don't include the ones which will be
entirely clipped away.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]