POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Spaceship Of The Week Sample 1 : Re: Spaceship Of The Week Sample 1 Server Time
7 Aug 2024 07:17:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spaceship Of The Week Sample 1
From: Sven Littkowski
Date: 10 May 2006 20:24:43
Message: <4462844b@news.povray.org>
Hi Povman,

have a look to my "starship of the week" (actually: month): it also uses
randomly arranged boxes, but puts them in coordination with the current
underground.

I add this time a part of my starship, there you can see my usage of
randomly positioned boxes. The exterior is blue-gray, the interior is nearly
black. While I decided to use box-alike shapes for the exterior, I use
cylinders and spheres for the interior of the large flight deck.

Transgalactic Spacegreetings,

Sven

"POVMAN" <s### [at] acom> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:4461d36e$1@news.povray.org...
>> Hmmm... The intention is good. But it requires still a lot of more work.
>> assume that you use randomly positioned boxes, and just in simple gray
>> color.
>
> Your not wrong about the work.  It is a single, randomly selected texture
> applied to the whole thing
>

>> I think, your station or ship should consist of surface structures and
>> interior structures.
>
> interior structures?
>
>>And give a certain esthetic to your design.
>
> I am considering that "themeing" the random stream would add to the
> effect.
> I think thats what your getting at.
>
>> Moreover, if you want to continue using these blocks, equip them with
>> surface details (not only textures, but individual additional shapes).
>
> The plain "box" is the default if no other shape is selected to placed at
> that location,  I am constantly adding new differn't shapes to the
> selection
> list.
>
>> Don't have all the boxes being rotated around their own axes (but have
>> them still randomly positioned), but give them a common direction. Let's
>> say, have their front sides pointing all together to one common
>> direction.
>
> I think I'll add that as a random option.
>
>> Use textures. Use lighted windows. Do not use very colorful green or red
>> or yellow "mini suns" on their surface, that destroys the serious
>> approach
>> your station or ship otherwise could have.
>
> The macro already makes a random choice, it either uses all white lights
> or
> all random colours.  I'm reluctant to remove the coloured option as it can
> add some good "feel" to some of the images.
>

> --
> POV Tips and Hints at ...
> http://povman.blogspot.com/

Post a reply to this message