POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Benday explosion : Re: Benday explosion Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:22:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Benday explosion
From: Jim Charter
Date: 10 May 2006 14:30:20
Message: <4462313c@news.povray.org>
Shay wrote:

>  Layered objectS         with leopard pattern.
> Very close. About 9000 pieces. Most of it is triangles.

I knew it!  I knew that whatever I thought it was,
it wouldn't be right.  So these are mesh objects rendered
with pure ambient then?  Even simpler than my approach.

> Semi-back I guess, in the same way I have been semi-gone. I though with
> my new work schedule that I would have more time for things like POV.
> Turns out I have *too* *much* time for POV. There are so many exciting
> alternatives available to me now. How long has it been since the average
> 8-5er has swung naked off a rope swing into a creek (5 days)? Taken a
> ten mile hike through the forest (6 days)? Hopped a freight train (4
> weeks)? Climbed a water tower (4 weeks)? Taken a crap in a dumpster(18
> hours)? or even swung a sledge hammer? Scrubbed on his hands and knees?
> Lifted a ton (almost 8 in one day)? or many of the other things I do
> regularly at work?

Not quite sure I follow.  Are you saying that you have a lot of time off
or that your job requires you to run around naked and crap in dumpsters?
  If the former, I want your job.  If the latter, I'm not so sure.

> POV has become somewhat restricted to what I can accomplish in an
> evening or two.

Me too, so I have learned to have even more patience.

> It happens that it was during a free-time excursion Saturday that I
> first saw Lichtenstein's explosion. I had seen a poorly rendered grenade
> shirt at a shop a few days earlier and had been thinking of creating my
> own with a benday explosion behind it. Went to the museum with my wife,
> and there it was, one of only two Lichtensteins and a great reference.

Romantic.  It has been a long time since I have visited a museum with my
wife.

> ps. Coolness for a t-shirt aside, I don't really care for his benday
> stuff.

Never really held my attention either.  But he kept his studio in the
Village and seemed a nice enough guy in interviews etc.