POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Benday explosion : Re: Benday explosion Server Time
7 Aug 2024 07:12:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Benday explosion
From: Shay
Date: 9 May 2006 17:16:27
Message: <446106ab@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter wrote:

> Nested object patterns with leopard pattern I presume?

  Layered objectS         with leopard pattern.
Very close. About 9000 pieces. Most of it is triangles.

> Just to reassure myself I made a quick test and nearly
> got sucked in myself.  Hypnotic way of working.  So
> immediate.

Compared to modeling a shoe, yes. This took a few hours.

> Glad you are back btw.

Semi-back I guess, in the same way I have been semi-gone. I though with
my new work schedule that I would have more time for things like POV.
Turns out I have *too* *much* time for POV. There are so many exciting
alternatives available to me now. How long has it been since the average
8-5er has swung naked off a rope swing into a creek (5 days)? Taken a
ten mile hike through the forest (6 days)? Hopped a freight train (4
weeks)? Climbed a water tower (4 weeks)? Taken a crap in a dumpster(18
hours)? or even swung a sledge hammer? Scrubbed on his hands and knees?
Lifted a ton (almost 8 in one day)? or many of the other things I do
regularly at work?

POV has become somewhat restricted to what I can accomplish in an
evening or two.

It happens that it was during a free-time excursion Saturday that I
first saw Lichtenstein's explosion. I had seen a poorly rendered grenade
shirt at a shop a few days earlier and had been thinking of creating my
own with a benday explosion behind it. Went to the museum with my wife,
and there it was, one of only two Lichtensteins and a great reference.

  -Shay

ps. Coolness for a t-shirt aside, I don't really care for his benday
stuff. I have a low appreciation for irony.