POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Water (v2) : Re: Water (v2) Server Time
7 Aug 2024 07:15:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Water (v2)
From: Skip Talbot
Date: 9 May 2006 01:24:03
Message: <44602773$1@news.povray.org>
I think the image is great despite other comments.

The sun not being red enough could simply be camera exposure
differences.  I don't see any problem with the way it is now, but an
orange disc (with halo) would also do the trick.

As for the islands... did Allen mentioned somewhere that they were large
islands?  I immediately recognized them as rocks, given the sense of
scale the waves portrayed.  I think they look great and the stage is now
set for something interesting to happen.

One thing that did catch my eye was the media sun's reflection on the
water.  Are you using a long cylinder orientated to point at the camera?
  At far distances, the cylinder (if thats whats going on here) casts a
nice reflection in the water, but close up the sun actually appears to
cast a shadow on the water.  Using media in unrealistic ways can have
unwanted side effects.  To remedy this, you might want to throw no
reflection and no shadow tags on the cylinder and produce the glare on
the water another way.  In this scene you could get away with cutting
the cylinder short so the end of the reflection is hidden by the rocks.
  However, if the full path of the reflection is going to be visible you
will notice a sharp line where it cuts off.  The cylinder also converges
to a point on the horizon making it seem like the sun is a point.  You
might want to use a spherical pigment on the sky sphere to produce the
sun's reflection.

Skip