POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Realistic bricks : Re: Realistic bricks [100 kb] Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:21:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Realistic bricks [100 kb]
From: Jim Charter
Date: 3 May 2006 16:20:20
Message: <44591084$1@news.povray.org>
Bill Pragnell wrote:

> I think you might be right. I advocated upping the resolution because you
> need a high level of detail in the pigment function to realistically
> represent the rough surface. A smoothed lower-res mesh would just look
> blobby. But we'll see!

I got the hint that unsmoothed might be not only faster but possibly
better at showing detail when I did this entry, back in the day:
http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/2001-02-28/chalice1.jpg
rendered on a laptop with a 650 athlon

>  Any chance of a peek at the code? :)

Sure, just let me revisit it myself before I post it.  I need to
remember what I was trying to do.  It is not such a big deal, just
scaled bumps faded into a gradient y and a boxed pattern.  But I put it
into macro(s) to try and adjust it to different block shapes/sizes, add
other color, and perhaps sychronize some colors with the displacement
function for the isosurface.