POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Realistic bricks : Re: Realistic bricks [100 kb] Server Time
7 Aug 2024 07:12:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Realistic bricks [100 kb]
From: Jim Charter
Date: 2 May 2006 16:13:06
Message: <4457bd52@news.povray.org>
Bill Pragnell wrote:
> Martin Magnusson <martin@-xx-blecket-xx-.org> wrote:
>
>>How about using smooth_triangles instead? In the example you showed, it
>>looks like you used "flat" triangles. That should make them look
>>smoother, and probably better, at close range.
>

> This is very true.

I believe it is only relatively true.  It has long been my intuition
that high-res, unsmoothed triangles would create more believeable
surfaces for many materials, especially skin.  Proving it is just one of
the many things on my to-do list, lol.  So I am looking forward to your
source if for no other reason than ease of running tests at different
resolutions.

FWIW a while back I was playing a bit with getting the weathering in
face stones.  The examples attached are in fact iso's using round box
macros from iso_csg.inc with some displacement, but the streaking
effects might interest you.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'img.2009.jpg' (52 KB) Download 'img.2012.jpg' (54 KB)

Preview of image 'img.2009.jpg'
img.2009.jpg

Preview of image 'img.2012.jpg'
img.2012.jpg