POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Another car : Re: Another car Server Time
19 Aug 2024 10:22:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another car
From: Alain
Date: 1 May 2006 19:33:38
Message: <44569ad2$1@news.povray.org>
Nekar Xenos nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 30/04/2006 16:09:
> "scott" <spa### [at] spamcom> wrote in message news:444fdea1@news.povray.org...
>
>>For those that remember, a while back I posted some renderes of car models
>>taken from Live for Speed (www.liveforspeed.net).  Well they just recently
>>released a new version with an F1 car, as within a day or two the
>>community had created skins for all the teams.  So I just made a render
>>with the skin from the Renault team.
>>

> Nice :)
>

>>I deleted the original wheels and tyres because you could see the polygons
>>when rendered with POV.  I've done the tyres, but am thinking how to do
>>the wheels.  I think it will be pretty hard to do them in POV as there are
>>too many rounds and curved surfaces, maybe I will give it a go in Wings.
>>Anyway, here it is without wheels:
>>

> Your tyres are right. IIRC FIA rules prevent slicks in F1. I can't remember
> offhand what the wheels look like but you could try a combination of blobs,
> lathe and besier-patches.

F1 tires have parallel, square profiled, grooves. They look the same stationary and
running. There
are 4 grooves on the front tires and 5 on the rear ones.
A good aproximation can be done with flaten torii for the flanks, a whide cylinder for
the bottom of
the grooves and some narrower cylinders for the sole itself.

--
Alain
Adult, n.: One old enough to know better.