POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Another car : Re: Another car Server Time
19 Aug 2024 10:17:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another car
From: Chambers
Date: 28 Apr 2006 21:20:46
Message: <4452bf6e$1@news.povray.org>
Halbert wrote:
> At the speedway where I grew up (Oswego Speedway
> http://www.oswegospeedway.com/), the raced what they would call "super
> modified" cars. One of the drivers showed me his car once and it looked
> to me like they pretty much would build the cars from the ground up.
> Anyway, the tires on these cars had no tread on them whatsoever. It made
> me wonder why that didn't cause a problem getting a good grip on the
> pavement. I still don't know, but the racing tires looked completely
> smooth.
> Like this:

No tread actually grips a smooth track better.  The problem is that once
you overcome the friction and lose traction, you lose complete control
of the car.  The tread is like a claw that grabs the ground, giving back
control.

You'll see them switch between the no-tread and treaded tires in
situation when they think they could lose traction, ie when it looks
like it'll rain they put on treaded tires.  The all-weather tires most
people use on their cars have tread for this same reason, and snow tires
have an unusually pronounced tread on them.

...Chambers