POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : IBL : OT - amateur astronomy (Re: IBL) Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:16:34 EDT (-0400)
  OT - amateur astronomy (Re: IBL)
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Date: 24 Apr 2006 07:46:03
Message: <444cba7b$1@news.povray.org>
High!

Bill Hails wrote:

> 11cm Russian-made TAL-1, I can see the rings of Saturn on a clear night :-)

Ah, the TAL-1! The mounting looks quite massive, it surely would carry
an additional camera... unlike my somewhat flimsy EQ-2 with my Bresser
Mizar (11.4 cm/900 mm focal length). Saturn's rings are generally no
problem, I even was able to spot Titan one night... but as I until
recently had to watch under a metropolitan area sky, this is far from
the best results possible with a 4.5-incher - under optimal conditions
(Afghan mountain desert sky with no scattered artificial light within a
200-km radius) at least Rhea, Iapetus, Dione and Tethys, perhaps even
Enceladus would be also visible...

Yes, astronomy (as well as programming) is one of the best excuses to
turn night into day! Unfortunately, my telescope now is with my parents
in the dark but remote countryside, about 60 kms from here, so that I'm
able to observe only on weekends - and during recent months, the weekend
weather over Germany was a complete failure, just LRCC (Lower Rhenanian
Cloud Cover)...

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar

Now playing: Esthematique (Serge Blenner)