POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : IBL : Re: IBL Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:12:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IBL
From: Bill Hails
Date: 19 Apr 2006 15:57:31
Message: <4446962a@news.povray.org>
Jaime Vives Piqueres wrote:

> Bill Hails wrote:
>> [...]
>
> Very nice, Bill. I think it would look more "integrated" if the textures
> were less reflective, so you will see a bit of the shading of the object
> "matching" the real scene lighting.

Yes, I'll give it a try, but the least reflective part, the wing, is
imo the least integrated-looking part of the model. I think another
part of the problem was that the HDRI was only composed of 3 images
+/- 3 stops each, not a very H DRI :-)

> BTW, I purchased a very good mirror ball some months ago, but I found my
> camera only has autofocus, and it refuses to focus the on reflected
> environment, so I can't get a sharp HDRI. The lighting comes out very
> nice, but the reflections are always very blurred... anyone go a trick
> for this situation? Or should I buy a camera with manual focus?

Yes, that would help, but autofocus can sometimes be persuaded to
focus on a reflection.

There are some nice "creative compacts" that allow manual control,
and if you want to go the distance, a digital SLR is a wonderful
thing but tbh it was my sudden discovery of photography that has
kept me away from povray for so long, and you wouldn't want that
to happen to you would you? :-)

> P.S.: I tried to create the HDRI also with MegaPOV HDR output, without
> having to resort to external utilities, but I'm still polishing the
> method. It uses concentric spheres for each exposure shot, and
> successive transparency with increasing ambient values, but it's
> somewhat esoteric to adjust by now.
>
> --
> Jaime

I've not tried that myself.