POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Can we join together to make a baseball? : Re: Can we join together to make a baseball? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:19:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can we join together to make a baseball?
From: Larry Hudson
Date: 18 Apr 2006 21:59:24
Message: <4445997c@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter wrote:
> *some on the groups here wince when we refer to SDL as "code".  To many
> hardcore programmers it is "script".  Otoh, SDL is also held to be a
> "turing-complete" programming language, so go figure.

Well, my viewpoint is as a non-professional, amateur/hobbyist
programmer, mostly with C.  I see the difference between code and a
script as this:  code is compiled into a different form (program code
becomes executable machine-language code), while a script is a set of
instructions that are directly run to perform some set of operations.
Rendering SDL is in effect compiling it, where it becomes an image file.
  It is not run as a set of instructions, it is a set of descriptions,
therefore it is code and not a script.

Of course, realistically, who cares whether the SDL is called code or
script, that's completely irrelevant.  Just use it and enjoy.    :-)

Just one (lay-)person's opinion...

      -=- Larry -=-