POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Will there be a new Version of Moray? : Re: Will there be a new Version of Moray? Server Time
29 Apr 2024 00:26:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Will there be a new Version of Moray?
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 18 Apr 2006 03:13:40
Message: <444491a4@news.povray.org>
"Patrick Elliott" <sha### [at] hotmailcom> schreef in bericht

> Yeah, mesh editing would be nice (especially if it included being able to
> scale an image to the background as you build a custom mesh, which is a
> feature missing from like 90% of them. If you are not an expert on making
> something like characters in 3D and even if you are, it helps a lot. But,
> its not a critical feature.

Wings3D and Silo can do that :-)

The thing that caused me the most problems
> with Moray where a) floating point precision problems. I.e. POV had
> higher accuracy, so in some cases you have to manually "adjust" things to
> be correct, b) incomplete SDL support and c) a coordinate system that is
> actually the reverse of the POV-Ray default. None of these are major
> issues,

Yes, in particular the SDL. Different camera types for instance...
The coordinate system is not too much a problem and easily circumvented.
However, for a modeller that dedicates itself to POV-Ray, I do not really
understand. Sometimes in the prehistory, I dimly recall that Lutz explained
why, but I cannot remember...

Otherwise, I must say that I am quite happy with Moray as it enables rapid
building of awkward scenes with difficult camera positions for instance.
Much faster then, than the trial and error you have to do in POV-Ray.

Thomas