POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : using an image_map for media density/color : Re: using an image_map for media density/color Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:18:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: using an image_map for media density/color
From: Bob H
Date: 12 Apr 2006 10:04:02
Message: <443d08d2$1@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote in message
> medias are so dense, I needed a way to fade them out exponentially.
>
> density{
> function{
>  my_image_function_2(x,y,z).red // and green, and blue
>  * my_function_3(x,y,pow(z,.07)).gray
>                      }
>            }

Good idea, you are right about the linear gradient fadeout being too solid.

> BTW, I got rid of the "extra" dino image on the rear of the box by using
>
> interior_texture{pigment{color rgbt 1}}
>
> Not ideal, but it does the job. Interior textures can behave strangely
---8<---

Very good point made there, glad you described the limitations. I tried the
following instead and it looks okay.

        pigment {
         gradient z
         pigment_map {
    [0.5 image_map {png "mediatest.png" map_type 0 interpolate 2 once}]
    [0.5 rgbt 1]
         }
         scale 1.01 translate -0.001*z
        }