POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Evensong (~143 kB) : Evensong (~143 kB) Server Time
7 Aug 2024 09:23:50 EDT (-0400)
  Evensong (~143 kB)
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 11 Apr 2006 05:24:29
Message: <443b75cd@news.povray.org>
I have been working quietly for some time now on the central piece of my
triptych (see the Curved Portal threads earlier). I think it is time to show
some results and to get some comments.

The scene shows an abbey refectory during Evensong. The monks are singing in
the chapel and the tables are ready for supper. The light is subdued (two
feeble bulbs high in the vaults; light coming from the kitchen behind us).
Outside, the sun is setting. In the first image, it is still above the
horizon (and the lights are turned up for showing details); in the second
one the sun has set (the lights turned down) and only the brightness of the
sky and the clouds are still visible throught he window panes.

The building is based (with some liberties) upon the ruins of the
Villers-la-Ville abbey in Belgium. The tables are based upon those from the
refectory in the abbey of Affligem, also in Belgium. The tiled floor is
based upon the chapel floor of the Slangenburg abbey in the Netherlands.

My initial intention was to build a ruin, and in order to demolish you have
first to build. Now, I don't know. I may still demolish this building but I
don't think it will improve the scene, only be the basis for another one.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'abbey ref.jpg' (144 KB)