POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : peculiar hailstone? : peculiar hailstone? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 09:21:31 EDT (-0400)
  peculiar hailstone?
From: Bob H
Date: 8 Apr 2006 06:55:54
Message: <443796ba@news.povray.org>
While dodging bad weather here last night there was some hail mixed with
rain, I went outside to take a look and saw some of these flower-like
hailstones.
Tried to recreate it using a media-filled blob made up of somewhat random
spheres. Hail is probably one of the easiest things to make directly in POV!
Possibly a broken open ball of a conglomeration of smaller hailstones. The
inner part was transparent, outer part white, size about one and one-half
inch across (less than 4 centimeters) and half inch thick. It melted fast,
but I was lucky enough to get a photo of it. Did a quick google image search
and didn't find anything like this. Found pictures of flattened ones with
clear edges and opaque centers. I'm thinking this must be a split ball of
ice but my first reaction was that it might have formed this way when I was
picking it up. Got my doubts after rethinking it.
Please take the appearance as it is, not sure I could improve on it.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'hailstone.jpg' (16 KB)

Preview of image 'hailstone.jpg'