POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Grass 'n' Glass : Re: Grass 'n' Glass Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:21:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Grass 'n' Glass
From: St
Date: 8 Apr 2006 04:04:46
Message: <44376e9e@news.povray.org>
"Tim" <tim### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
> "St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:
>>  Hiya Tim, welcome to the world of PovRay. Don't be nervous though, there
>> are a whole bunch of people around here with varying expertise in many
>> aspects of... erm, life, and CG art! If they can help in any way, they
>> will,
>> so just ask away in any of the groups for your subject.
>
> Hi St.  I have to say I've gained a helluva lot of confidence with pov in
> the past 36hrs.  Now just doing my best to not let it go to my head ;)

 Well, there's nothing that can't be done with PoV, so just keep
experimenting.  :)

>>   I like it, and I see where you're getting that angle on the leaves
>> from.
>> It's a very similar grass to the Timothy Grass we have here in the UK:
>> http://strubi.uni-graz.at/projects/allerg_03.jpg
>
> Oooh, what part of the UK are you from?

     North Wales. Originally from Swindon though. I think I'm the only pover
from Wales, (that I know of).

I'm from Perth, Scotland.  Brought
> up 10miles north of Pitlochry (Scotland again) in the middle of nowhere.

    Ah, there's a couple of your fellow countrymen lurking around here
somewhere. I'm sure you'll bump into them.

> I'd never considered that it looks so much like Timothy grass.  For the
> next few months this is gonna annoy me, as I'm worried now maybe that's
> what I remember as a kid.  I don't think it was, but I'm trying to model
> the plants I remember fondly as a kid.  Hmmm, who could've thought the
> time
> of year could be such a problem with povray?

     Well, early April is flowering time for the Foxtail, so you should be
able to see them now/soon. And I don't think you'll get them mixed up with
Timothy grass because the flower head can be as long as 15cm compared to
9cm.

>>    Well, Googling images of the Meadow Foxtail, I notice that the actual
>> shape of the flower-head(?) is more of a torpedo shape, maybe you could
>> try
>> that out? Generally though, your image is a nice, relaxing, mellow scene.
>> good start.
>
> It's an inflorescence!  And no, I didn't know that before either.  :D  I
> just stick to head or foxtail though, hehe.  About the torpedo shape, I
> remember now that when I started on the inflorescence csg I realised I
> should be using an isosurface or half sphere and half a stretched sphere
> union.  I wonder why I didn't do that.  :-S  This is going into my TODO
> list to be done when I find the colour variations on the leaves and stem.

   Looking forward to the next one then.

>>   (Sheesh! Listen to me. I sound like a teacher writing a school report!
>> Anyway, you're A+ at the moment...)     ;)
>
> Hehe cheers, wish you had been my art teacher at high school!

    :o)

   ~Steve~