POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : My turn for RSOCP : Re: My turn for RSOCP Server Time
7 Aug 2024 11:19:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My turn for RSOCP
From: Alain
Date: 7 Apr 2006 19:41:36
Message: <4436f8b0$1@news.povray.org>
DJ Wiza nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 05/04/2006 04:33:
> Originally, I had created what I called "naked primitives" by using
> cylinder elements in blobs to create sort of a wire frame of a cube,
> pyramid, and a sphere, with some radiosity for effect.  The blobbing
> created a bit more mass at the vertices, which was the effect I was
> going for.  Then, I noticed that the sphere didn't much resemble a
> sphere, but rather this odd shape that looked kind of cool.
>
> Then I decided to take the sphere-like shape on its own, make an array
> of them, make every other one reflective, put it over a checkered plane,
> and add some focal blur.  And this is the result.
>
> I don't like it though...the focal blur isn't quite right.  The settings
> I used were 200 samples, confidence 0.99, variance 1/100000, aperture 4,
> with the focal point in the very center of the sphere.  The problem is
> that the focal blur still looks grainy, and there are couple black
> pixels.  I'm assuming the black pixels are from the max_trace_level
> being reached.  I'm using the default.
>
> What also gets me is some of the edges in the checker pattern are abrupt
> in the focal blur.  What would cause that?

You may try with a lower aperture value, like in the 1~2 range. Smaler aperture should
make the
grainyness less apparent, or you can increase the sample number, along with the render
time.
You probably need to increase Max_trace_level, and maybe use a larger adc_bailout.
For the black leaking on the white, you may try using Gray05, Gray10 or Gray15 for the
dark squares.
Don't know if it will help.

--
Alain