POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Grass 'n' Glass : Re: Grass 'n' Glass Server Time
7 Aug 2024 09:27:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Grass 'n' Glass
From: St
Date: 7 Apr 2006 15:53:42
Message: <4436c346@news.povray.org>
"Tim" <tim### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message

> To be honest I'm very nervous about posting an image here as I only
> discovered POVRay since the 26th.

 Hiya Tim, welcome to the world of PovRay. Don't be nervous though, there
are a whole bunch of people around here with varying expertise in many
aspects of... erm, life, and CG art! If they can help in any way, they will,
so just ask away in any of the groups for your subject.

>Thoroughly enjoying it though as I've
> been ill for over a year now so no longer have a job in software
> development and I can't get out anymore to do my photography.  Ah well, I
> think this could be a lifelong passion!

    And a passion it is. A wholehearted one for me and many, many others. I
hope you enjoy it as much as I've seen many people here enjoy it.

> On to the image.  The reason I'm posting it is because I wrote a macro
> (over
> the past three or four days) to create Meadow Foxtail, each one having
> random differences from the others.

  I like it, and I see where you're getting that angle on the leaves from.
It's a very similar grass to the Timothy Grass we have here in the UK:
http://strubi.uni-graz.at/projects/allerg_03.jpg

 I completed it tonight and thought I
> would post it here as others have done with their macros in the past.
> Before I got round to it though I thought it was about time I actually
> created a full scene, and I don't think it's too bad for an extra half
> hour
> work (although perhaps a little tacky).  So primarily I hoped someone
> would
> comment on the Meadow Foxgrass itself, but secondly if anyone has any
> comments on the scene I would love to hear them too.

   Well, Googling images of the Meadow Foxtail, I notice that the actual
shape of the flower-head(?) is more of a torpedo shape, maybe you could try
that out? Generally though, your image is a nice, relaxing, mellow scene. A
good start.

  (Sheesh! Listen to me. I sound like a teacher writing a school report!
Anyway, you're A+ at the moment...)     ;)

> And one last thing, kindly please!  I'm only a baby pover!  :D

    Ok, we'll let you off just this once...

    Oh, and don't forget the 'Reflective Sphere Over Chequered Plane' thing
that goes on around here. See if you can come up with something different.

   Liked the later image too.   :o)

       ~Steve~