POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : execute povray : Re: execute povray Server Time
26 Jun 2024 03:19:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: execute povray
From: Stefan Viljoen
Date: 7 Apr 2006 02:45:21
Message: <44360a80@news.povray.org>
jofg spake:

> Is there suppose to be a usr/lib folder?
>
> When I installed Mandriva, I did not create an Administrator password.
>
> There is no root password.
>
> Was I suppose to?

?!

Erm... yes? Never heard of an install that didn't force you to assign a root
password - unless you have some form of installation with NO security?!

> If I do need to create a password, how can I backtrack and create one?

No idea - on RH6.5, 7.3, 9 and FC3 the install -always- forced me to create
a root password. I had no idea that you could use and install a Linux
system off a standard distro and NOT setup a root password?

> Assuming PovRay is working, and if Povray is command line, how is the
> source for a file created, where is the editor as in Windows?

Well, if you run in text mode, you can use VI, but this is very unintuitive
and would be a nightmare for somebody just in from Microsoft land. If your
GUI is running, you can use any text editor. I prefer emacs, 'cause you can
get a little extension for it that does Povray style indentation and text
coloring.

> I think I should first learn Linux first.

Maybe... but something seems seriously screwed with your install if it does
NOT at least -once- somewhere during the process ask for a root password.
Unless this is an option or something? Install again, and read everything
carefully, I suspect somewhere there is a way to set up a root password for
the system. Once it is installed with a root password, use that to create
subservient users, and in one of those accounts, install povray.

Regards,
--
Stefan Viljoen
Software Support Technician / Programmer