POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Grass 'n' Glass : Re: Grass 'n' Glass Server Time
7 Aug 2024 09:25:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Grass 'n' Glass
From: Ross
Date: 6 Apr 2006 11:48:54
Message: <44353866$1@news.povray.org>
"Tim" <tim### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
> To be honest I'm very nervous about posting an image here as I only
> discovered POVRay since the 26th.  Thoroughly enjoying it though as I've
> been ill for over a year now so no longer have a job in software
> development and I can't get out anymore to do my photography.  Ah well, I
> think this could be a lifelong passion!

it does quickly become an obsession :)

> On to the image.  The reason I'm posting it is because I wrote a macro
(over
> the past three or four days) to create Meadow Foxtail, each one having
> random differences from the others.  I completed it tonight and thought I
> would post it here as others have done with their macros in the past.
> Before I got round to it though I thought it was about time I actually
> created a full scene, and I don't think it's too bad for an extra half
hour
> work (although perhaps a little tacky).  So primarily I hoped someone
would
> comment on the Meadow Foxgrass itself, but secondly if anyone has any
> comments on the scene I would love to hear them too.
>
> And one last thing, kindly please!  I'm only a baby pover!  :D

Nice work. For the stems, the ones that go crooked look a little too sharply
crooked. For the scene, i'd change the lighting somewhat. Maybe add a dim
fill light directly behind the camera (so as to not cast unwanted shadows),
or use some radiosity. Otherwise, it's a perfectly fine first posting to the
group.

-r