POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Grass 'n' Glass : Re: Grass 'n' Glass Server Time
7 Aug 2024 09:27:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Grass 'n' Glass
From: Bob H
Date: 6 Apr 2006 00:48:26
Message: <44349d9a$1@news.povray.org>
"fairly new" was a slip of the tongue. I should have worded that another
way. I've used POV-Ray for about 12 years now and the macro feature was
added to version 3.1. Sure, maybe it's been a half-dozen years since then
but I can be slow to adapt.  ;)

Back to your rendering...
Thanks for explaining the lighting used. Looking at it with higher
brightness here now, I can see them better than before. I was going to
mention potential for the well-known coincident surfaces problem, but I'm
not really able to see anything wrong concerning that so I suppose the
randomness is preventing that. The small size of those things makes it
impossible to be sure anyway, but it would show up as either blank or
speckled parts if the cylinder ends matched. It's the extreme darkness of
them that just looks wrong to me with that whiteness all around, something
'radiosity' might help with to illuminate them more.

I've tried to find out what kind of plant this reminds me of. Something I
was always plucking from the ground and tearing apart when I was a kid in
Washington (northwest US). Apparently called buckthorn but this is the only
relevant photo I could locate and it isn't a very good one. They didn't have
thorns so I don't know why the name.

http://www.plantsgalore.com/articles/weeds/images/Weed_Buckthorn.jpg

The flowering top parts can look much like the middle two in your plant
before they turn into tiny flowers. That plant just seemed to attract me to
ripping it apart, kind of like blowing on dandelion fluff did.