POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : chalice WIP [78 kb] : Re: chalice WIP Update [79 kb & 41 kb] Server Time
7 Aug 2024 19:22:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: chalice WIP Update [79 kb & 41 kb]
From: Jim Charter
Date: 3 Apr 2006 10:27:28
Message: <443130d0$1@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote:
> My goodness! This is the very thing now!
> Very much a Grail object (just been reading Robert Holdstock lately :-) )

Thanks Thomas, I'll give Holdstock a look, I am not currently familiar.
  Actually someone in my household took "Stonehenge" (Bernard Cornwell)
out of the library and I read a bit yesterday, while letting others use
the computer.  Historical fiction, but fun, and I guess it suits my mood
somehow given I am picturing religious artifacts lately, lol.  Actually
the whole humble-cup/ornate-relinquary concept is kinda weird when you
think about it.

My attraction to the subject has something to do with verticality,
ritual, vertical sequencing, decorative icon, bodily ritual, bodily
gratification, spheres of perception.

I big influence on me, since forever, was a piece by Bruce Nauman titled
"From Hand to Mouth"  It was, as I recall, a wall sculpture which was a
cast from a fragment of a human body showing only the hand, arm, portion
of the neck and jaw up to the mouth, and the mouth.  Formally it
serviced the conceptual task of the day of illustrating a verbal
expression.  But I believe I remember that he talked about it in terms
of hand to mouth gratifications such as smoking and drinking coffee.