POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : I can't open Pov-Ray on Mac : Re: I can't open Pov-Ray on Mac Server Time
26 Apr 2024 08:11:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I can't open Pov-Ray on Mac
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 30 Mar 2006 14:03:07
Message: <442c2b6b$1@news.povray.org>
John Kuehne wrote:
> Perhaps Rosetta is crashing. I too cannot run POV-Ray on an Intel Mac. This
> is really a shame, because we are using POV-Ray for depicting the results
> of scientific research (in particular, the perception of motion). Waiting
> until sometime in 2007 for an official version that runs - forget the
> optimizations - isn't an option for us. And I'm not going to abandon the
> Intel Mac . . .

If the PowerPC emulator is crashing, that is *Apple's* problem, not
POV-Ray's. Report problems with crashes to Apple. POV-Ray is a perfectly
working and cleanly written PowerPC application, and it does run on every
real PowerPC processor. on the other hand, the emulator Apple supplies is
known to have problems, and they won't get fixed unless Apple is told they
exist.

Report it to Apple, or nothing will change. Unlike with the much better
planned 68K to PowerPC transition, Apple has neglected to develop a working
debugger for the PowerPC emulation environment called "Rosetta" and instead
rushed out unstable systems to end users. Even today there is no reasonable
way to debug within Rosetta, except using a barely working hack documented
by Apple to use an unreliable low-level command-line-based debugger.

BTW, effectively the poor development environments available, and the rushed
transition is also the reason why major software vendors (i.e. Adobe) have
been unable to deliver native software yet. there is just no way to properly
develop and test on the x86 PCs sold by Apple yet.

As for POV-Ray, do not expect a native version earlier than 2008 or as part
of POV-Ray 4.0, whichever comes first. In the meantime, you can always
compile and run the Unix version natively on Mac OS X.

	Thorsten, POV-Team