POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : chalice WIP [78 kb] : Re: chalice WIP [78 kb] Server Time
7 Aug 2024 11:20:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: chalice WIP [78 kb]
From: Stefan Viljoen
Date: 28 Mar 2006 01:27:27
Message: <4428d74e@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter spake:

> Stefan Viljoen <spamnot@ wrote:
>

>> Love the detail, especially on the stand / bottom of the chalice...
>>

> Thanks Stefan.  The filligree along the bottom edge was the first major
> challenge.  (Modelled the whole chalice literally from the bottom up)
> Basically I isolated a 1/8th section of the repeating motif that could
> be mirrored, modelled that section manually, then mirrored the 1/8th to
> make a 1/4, the 1/4 to make a 1/2, the 1/2 to the whole, using Wings'
> "mirror" tool. There are actually two layers of filligree to reproduce
> the dense pattern in the reference, but only the outer one seems to show.

Don't you just hate it when that happens? I'm still learning a lot, and this
has happened to me too - spending hours putting in extra detail, only to
find that in the final image it is invisible...

You wouldn't consider documenting exactly how you did that and putting it up
somewhere on the web? I read your description of its creation and the bit
you say here just makes it sound even more involved. The final effect IS
impressive, though!

I'm always amazed with Pov (and with Blender) and Wings at the stuff
talented people can produce. I've often sat, bored, wondering what I can do
next that would look cool, and then somebody comes along and I can bang my
head on the table and ask the old "now why did't I think of that?!" :)

Kind regards,
--
Stefan Viljoen
Software Support Technician / Programmer