POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : chalice WIP [78 kb] : Re: chalice WIP [78 kb] Server Time
7 Aug 2024 11:16:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: chalice WIP [78 kb]
From: Jim Charter
Date: 27 Mar 2006 10:13:26
Message: <44280116$1@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote:
> Jim, not entirely same material, but you saw that sax a couple of threads
> above. I would expect something in that direction for the chalice.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah about Steves Sax, but it doesn't seem to work here, assuming that
there he blew out

the reflection and smooth settings to get essentially a mirror-like
surface.

When I do that on this object it tends to
look like colored glass.  I definitely need a blurred reflection effect
together with a high specular I think.  Maybe just a matter of finer
tweeking.  If I boost the specular too much the upward facing surface of
the base just blows out.  I think I also need a way to distress the
whole surface more.  I think the "painted on" look Bob referred to has a
lot to do with the homogeneity along the joins of some of the metal
work. Like where the little containing ridges for the enamel inlays meet
the surface they are resting on.  Actually, in the reference those are
serrated into a beads almost. Might have to go to a bit-map for the
metal texture too in order to get some tarnish into the seems etc.
though that would be a lot of work.  Will prob add more irregularity and
detail to the metalwork first.