POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : chalice WIP [78 kb] : Re: chalice WIP [78 kb] Server Time
7 Aug 2024 11:25:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: chalice WIP [78 kb]
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 27 Mar 2006 03:12:17
Message: <44279e61@news.povray.org>
"Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> schreef in bericht
> All I see are problems here, but this thing has absorbed so much time so
> far that I thought I would stop and get a reaction.
>
> The light is actually three lights placed randomly and colored randomly
> in the red-yellow range of hues.  The total light color of the three
> lights approaches something like rgb <1,.99,.97>
>
> Radiosity data was collected at 600 samples.  The actual render used
> "Outdoor Low Quality" settings from the include file of presets.
>
> The actual cup is a iso dirived from a SOR with bump and bitmap textures
> subtracted.  The rest is all mesh modelledin Wings with some bump
> normals to suggest pounded metal and a "micro" normal for blurred
> reflection applied.
>
> The enamel inlay is a bitmap applied with uv's and was hand "painted"

This is an impressive piece of work, Jim. The only thing "wrong" ith it is
the metal texture which looks too much like plastic, imho. It seems to be
the finish. Did you use specular or phong here? Looks like specular to me.
That is often what I prefer, but maybe phong would work better here (if I am
correct in my analysis! which is probably not the case). However, metal is
sooo difficult to get right!

Still, a mighty achievement!

Thomas