POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ashley 2334 circuit (WIP, ~160k) : Re: Ashley 2334 circuit (WIP, ~160k) Server Time
7 Aug 2024 11:19:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ashley 2334 circuit (WIP, ~160k)
From: Thibaut Jonckheere
Date: 6 Mar 2006 15:22:08
Message: <440c99f0@news.povray.org>
Bill Pragnell wrote:
> This is really nice. Took me a couple of seconds to 'see' what I was looking
> at!

This couple of seconds interests me ! Can you say if it is because of a
"technical"problem (image too dark, not enough contrast,...), or because
it is due to the complexity of the object shown ? I guess many people
(including me) won't often make the effort, in usual life, to look
longer at a picture which seems unclear or confuse at  first sight.

I sympathise with the background problem - I too had trouble thinking of
> anything simple and effective. I'm now spending longer on the background
> than I am on the knots...
>
> Suggestion, to be used/recoiled from as you see fit: Put a layer of cloud
> beneath the knot, then a moonlit landscape (fields, etc) below that. The
> effect would then be of the knot floating 1000s of ft in the air, with the
> viewpoint even higher but looking straight down.

Thanks, I will try something in this vein for the background. I am quite
conviced now that what is lacking is a feeling of depth behind the knot.

>>The cars are simply placed in pov, using position and angle infos read
>>in Wings3D. I just chose the points where I wanted the cars to be, read
>>the corresponding position (and angles) in Wings, and then
>>translate/rotate the car object as needed in pov.
>
> Another option would be to use trace().

In fact, I use both: I perform a trace to get the angle between the
local normal and the vertical (y axis), and the wings info to get the
rotation angle in the horizontal plane.

> I specifically looked for parametric functions describing knots so I could
> generate them algorithmically. If there's some way of persuading knotplot
> to give up a mathematical function, it'd be no problem. It might be worth
> contacting the author in this regard...

I may have a look at the math formulae behind this knot. But it is too
late for my image now: my knot does not follow exactly the one given by
knotplot.

> It'd be great to see some more of this work - keep it up!
> Bill

Thanks for the support !

Thibaut