POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Down the Drain (WIP Update #2) : Re: Down the Drain (WIP Update #2) Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:16:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Down the Drain (WIP Update #2)
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 2 Mar 2006 11:07:12
Message: <44071830@news.povray.org>
> At first there is a logical inconsistency.
SNIP
> Of course one could argue that this is a minor thing. Be it.

I wouldn't say it's a minor thing. It's more part of the what's being said
with the image. Don't take it as a realistic photo with a touch of emotion,
but more a depiction of something, be it emotion, thought or whatever. Thus,
there's no logical explanation why a basin can get filled with water when
there's no plug. The filled basin is part of the "down the drain" thought,
it would be hard to convey that with an empty basin without showing that
something is going down the drain.

> - Is the heart your heart going down the drain? Your heart is
>    a unique thing so why does it go down the drain among so many
>    others? Are all these hearts lost? And what does it mean for them...
SNIP AGAIN

That's the fun of interpretation. Though I have my own explanation why I
want things to look like they do, I also like leaving enough room so that
others can find their own meaning and interpretation. It's part of thinking
about things to view them from various angles and taking several
possibilities into account. It seems like I accomplished that. :-)

> Well, these were the thoughts that flew through my head when I saw
> this image. Again, it is a very nice image/scene and it reflects a
> feeling I often think to see in faces.

Thank you. I hoped that it reflected something, not just for me. I do want
to make some small statement with my images, or I wouldn't make them
available for the public (and there are some that I don't).

Regards,
Tim

--
aka "Tim Nikias v2.0"