POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Down the Drain (WIP Update #2) : Re: Down the Drain (WIP Update #2) Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:21:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Down the Drain (WIP Update #2)
From: Sebastian H
Date: 2 Mar 2006 04:54:57
Message: <4406c0f1$1@news.povray.org>
Tim Nikias wrote:
>>I'm not sure what the image want's to tell me.
>

> Well, it's been a long time since my images were that expressive that you
> could easily read what's going on in my life.

I have an idea what you wanted to express with your image
and you sure have good reasons for that. But I was more concerned
about what the image actually is telling without having any background.

At first there is a logical inconsistency.
- The basin is full of water though the plug is missing.
   I'm sure the drain will swallow more water that the tap can ever
   spill, so what happened to the plug? Btw. The chain looks
   very good. And where did all the water come from? The drop
   indicates it all came from the tap but that is physical not
   possible (I claim).
Of course one could argue that this is a minor thing. Be it.

About what the image tells (me?).
- Is the heart your heart going down the drain? Your heart is
   a unique thing so why does it go down the drain among so many
   others? Are all these hearts lost? And what does it mean for them
   to go down the drain? After all they're all together then. Is this
   a bad thing which one would infer because of this swallowing drain?
   The heart in the drop seems to indicate a temporal separateness
   from others or loneliness among others, which only reveals when
   someone focuses on a drop/person, but not neccessarily a broken heart.
   So the topic of this image could be loneliness.
   Or is this the heart of someone else one hurt some time ago?
   Then again why is this heart one among so many others. Did someone
   hurt so many people and the flushed them all down the drain one after
   the other like nothing? Is it maybe a "morning after" scene of someone
   having just another one behind in bed he/she doesn't even know the
   name of?
   No matter from what point of view seen the image expresses a deep
   emotional isolation of someone living among a lot other someones who
   are just the same but nevertheless somehow unreachable.
   Then it could be a metapher for big city life or life in a large
   anonymous herd.

Well, these were the thoughts that flew through my head when I saw
this image. Again, it is a very nice image/scene and it reflects a
feeling I often think to see in faces.

Regards,
Sebastian