POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : isosurface <> height_field : Re: isosurface <> height_field Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:21:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: isosurface <> height_field
From: Vincent LE CHEVALIER
Date: 1 Mar 2006 10:16:15
Message: <4405babf@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote:
> OK. Time for one of my stupid questions.
>
> From one function, I want to render an isosurface as well as a height_field,
> following Mike Williams' tutorial. After some trial and error, I obtain the
> image posted here. The problem is that the height_field (to the right) is
> not centered at exactly the same location as the isosurface (to the left).
> And I am unable to find out why, or what I should do about it. I am sure the
> answer is ridiculously simple and if a gentle soul could help me in my
> darkness, I would be most grateful :-)
>
> I shall post the scene file in p.b.s-f under the same name.
>
> Thanks (many!)
>
> Thomas

The problematic code is :

[...]
isosurface {
   function {y - P(x, 0, 1-z)}
[...]

which you can replace with

[...]
isosurface {
   function {y - P(x, 0, -z)}
[...]

which works fine :-) Amazing what a nasty char can do...

The explanation is that you just want to reverse the z-axis to be
coherent with the height field. By writing  P(x, 0, 1-z) not only do you
reverse the z axis, but you translate it as well...

Hope this helps

--
Vincent