POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Volcano "Final" : Re: Volcano "Final" Server Time
7 Aug 2024 19:26:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Volcano "Final"
From: Tek
Date: 28 Feb 2006 03:00:08
Message: <44040308$1@news.povray.org>
You have no idea how close you are to the truth! I've been rendering
different versions of this image on 3 different machines because:
1/ my main desktop machine got taken down by 2 power cuts within the last
week! Luckily they've fixed the problem now, or so they say.
2/ my laptop's hibernate mode managed to save povray despite one of those
powercuts (because I'm using megapov's post processing I can't continue an
unfinished render, I have to start from the beginning, but hibernate mode
doesn't suffer that problem)... only for it to reboot itself a couple of
days later from overheating! AAAARGH!
3/ my work PC has 2 processors (or maybe a dual core, I haven't checked but
anyway pov can only see 50% of it until pov 3.7 gets released), so I have it
doing the scene as 2 partial renders (with a black object blocking the
camera's view of half the scene, for the aforementioned post-processing
reasons). BUT... my work PC crashes intermittently for no known reason!!!

Anyway, the current situation is: I have 24 hours to go, the top-half of the
high-res version was nearly finished on my work machine, but the bottom half
won't be done in time. So tonight I worked some magic on the smoke effect
and I'm using my PC at home to redo the bottom half (in about 3 hours vs 3
days!), this is because all you see of the smoke in the bottom half is it's
shadow, so I switched off the scattering media and turned off all the higher
media quality settings I had.

So, provided my work PC doesn't crash, I should have a high-res version for
the IRTC in plenty of time for the deadline :)

--
Tek
http://evilsuperbrain.com