POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Down the Drain (WIP Update #1) : Re: Down the Drain (WIP Update #1) Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:18:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Down the Drain (WIP Update #1)
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 27 Feb 2006 05:24:41
Message: <4402d369$1@news.povray.org>
> Looks good.

Thank you!

> A few suggestions:
> The water should form a spiralling whirlpool as it goes down the drain.

It does, though it's less pronounced now. Might have to work a little on
that.

> It needs a lighter background, black is a very unnatural colour for this
> subject.

My brother commented as much, I'm thinking about it, though I do like that
its slightly off the usual rules.

> The sink looks too clean, particularly around the soap where I'd expect
some
> soap scum showing where soapy water has run down the side from the soap
> dish.

Texture-detail is something I haven't really begun with yet, though I was
wondering about leaving everything looking shiny and new. I like the
contrast of the story I'm trying to hide in the image and the look of the
image (sad vs cheerful/bright).

> Also, is the refractive index right? Water should be around ior 1.33, I
> think. I have to say the water looked more real in the first one, I think
> it's just because there's more highlights reflecting and refracting in the
> water.

Refractive index is right, it's at 1.34 at the moment. I'm thinking about
adding a lightsource just for the water to catch some highlights.

Thanks for the comments, I'll ponder them and look what I can do. :-)

Regards,
Tim

--
aka "Tim Nikias v2.0"