POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : car seats : Re: car seats Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:18:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: car seats
From: St
Date: 26 Feb 2006 14:46:15
Message: <44020587@news.povray.org>
"scott" <spa### [at] spamcom> wrote in message news:4401ff0a@news.povray.org...
> "St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote in message news:4401f5e9@news.povray.org
>>> I also attach the wings model if you want to look at it.
>>
>>   Thanks. That helped a lot Scott.
>>

>>> Any advice on what I've done wrong (and more usefully how to fix
>>> it!) would be great.
>>
>>    Ok, for some reason, you have 2 vertices pointing to one vertex
>> (many times) from when you mirrored your seat - this will give
>> artifacts. Funny thing is, I thought you meant the 'arms' of the
>> seat in your original image... ;o)
>
> Thanks so much for the tips, things like that are good because often I go
> about a very long winded way of doing things based on the tutorials I have
> read.

    No problem Scott.  :o)  I really should do my own tutorial some day...

> Ermm, yeh, I think I have two separate problems upon investigation :-)
>
> 1) As you explain when I mirrored, some faces don't seem to get "joined".
> This was an error on my part, I only selected one face and chose "mirror",
> rather than all of the ones that were down the middle.  I didn't realise
> that it wouldn't automatically "join" the rest of them that were touching
> (or almost touching).  It works much better now thanks.

      My pleasure.  :o)

> 2) In the "arm" (see attached image for clarification, the lower image is
> just "shaded" mode) there is still something weird going on.  Can you see
> it on your computer?  When you do subdivision or shaded view it looks like
> this face is actually there twice for some reason.

    You smoothed it too many times, x 3. One is ok, but two at a push is
fine, (depending on your scene).

     It looks like everything (on the arms of your model), were *pinched*
together by smoothing, producing that black area.

      I just got the same result by doing the same.

      It might look horrible and angular in Wings after one/two smooth/s,
but the result in Pov is always better. Experiment.

      ~Steve~