POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Dandelion v3 : Re: Dandelion v3 Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:21:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dandelion v3
From: Alain
Date: 24 Feb 2006 17:17:59
Message: <43ff8617$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 24/02/2006 11:55:
> Spock wrote:
>
>> For some reason I found V2 much more compelling.  I could really feel
>> the little guy's struggle, and some of that has been lost in V3.  Why?
>>
>> The only things I can think of are:
>>
>> 1. The closed window made it clear that the rain was out of reach.
>

> Huh.  That's interesting, two comments about rain - it's not raining
> outside, so I'm doing something wrong :)
>
> The window has a perturbed normal, and it's dirty (a layer of bozo
> pigment filtered over the transparent glass).  It never looked like rain
> to me, but maybe I should fool around with the normal more.
>

>> 2. The bricks and plain table made the interior seem bleaker and less
>> likely to support life.  The new wall and tablecloth? make me feel
>> less sorry for the flower.
>

> I was planning on dirtying up the wall some more (burn marks, water
> stains, cracks, that sort of thing) which might help, but maybe I'll
> just have to find a way to get my bricks working.
>
>> 4. The checkered tablecloth draws my attention away from the flower
>> and dilutes the impact.
>

> Good point, I should replace that with something else then.
>
>> is nice (but the shadow from the radiator is still too sharp... what
>> kind of light is mounted that low with no shade?).
>

> I point light source is :)  I'll try it out with shadowless, but maybe
> I'll just have to bite the rendering time and make it an area light.
>
>> And finally if you look at it from the right angle the jar appears to
>> have been cut out from some other picture and pasted in here.  I know
>> it hasn't, but I think the texture of the windowsill (no shadow, no
>> reflection) gives a sense that the jar is just hovering there.
>

> What I really want to do with the jar is use photons, but for some
> reason they hang 3.7 and I haven't bothered figuring out why.  Until
> then, I guess I could either use a media inside the glass (slow, looks
> good), or filter the light a bit through it (fast, looks ok).
>
>> Sounds like a critical response but I like the image and hope you
>> continue to evolve it.
>>
>> Happy Tray Racing!
>

> Thanks for the comments.
>
> ...Chambers
Use adaptive 0 on that area_light! It will minimize the render time. Use adaptive 1 if
you get
artefacts. The optimum arays are powers of 2 plus 1 like 5, 9, 17, 33,...

--
Alain
at least I thought I was dancing, 'til somebody stepped on my hand.